This is a selection of media reports relevant to wellness in the law.
Legal leader with depression calls for change (Lawyers Weekly 2013)
- Feeling the Pressure (Lawyers Weekly 2013) Law students are getting a taste of high-level stress earlier on in their degrees — and they’re not coping.
- 22/02/13: The rudeness of judges trickles down to junior lawyers in a cycle of bullying and stress that is rife within the legal profession, says former High Court judge Michael Kirby. Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bullying-judges-breed-stressful-system-kirby-20130221-2eudp.html#ixzz2LnBNjLUi
- 21/02/13: A senior partner at Herbert Smith Freehills has come to the defence of law firms after a young lawyer slammed firm mental health programs as “nothing more than a joke”. Read More: http://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/news/firms-efforts-to-tackle-depressiogenuine
- 19/02/13: Poorly implemented mental health programs are contributing to the high incidences of depression in law firms, SANE Australia has claimed, following the release of its survey that found most employees who had been mentally unwell were not supported by their organisation. Read More: http://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/news/poor-mental-health-programs-failing-lawyers
- 15/02/13: A young lawyer at one of Australia’s top law firms details how he felt the profession let him down when he began struggling with depression. Read More: http://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/news/big-firms-mental-health-facade
- 29/01/13: A study into the work practices of judges and magistrates, Judicial Workload: Time, Tasks and Work Organisation, is a peek into the mindset of the usually opaque bench-dwellers.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/stress-and-doubts-outweighed-by-judges-love-for-work-study-finds-20130128-2dgs2.html#ixzz2LnD99BWB
- 2011:Top law firms have begun educating recruits on the illness and law schools are starting to teach work-life balance, the Australian Law Student Association’s education vice president, Melissa Coade, said. Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/legal-eaglets-learn-to-fend-off-depression-20110317-1byvn.html#ixzz2LnBl4KpD
- 2011: A STAFF health survey within Legal Aid NSW has exposed high levels of stress, concerns about the bullying of criminal lawyers and found that workers compensation claims for its criminal solicitors are running at twice the national average. Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/legal-aid-lawyers-buckle-under-work-stress-20110905-1ju9v.html#ixzz2LnBuC3yJ
- Lawyers and Depression (Radio National Law Report 2011)